Thursday, November 16, 2017

The Pips (without Gladys Knight)



In 1977, The Richard Pryor Show featured music from The Pips, but not Gladys Knight. I don't know who had the idea, but someone mentioned a contractual dispute, and many remember this bit as the funniest thing on TV. The Pips had a ton of talent, but they rarely ever got to shine. (via TYWKIWDBI)  

On another note, you might wonder how "TYWKIWDBI" is pronounced. There's an explanation at the top of the blog, but I always pronounce it "Minnesotastan." I'd never be able to spell it if I didn't know it stands for Things You Wouldn't Know If We Didn't Blog Intermittently.

1 comment:

CGHill said...

For what it's worth, their first record of note, "Every Beat of My Heart" (1961) was credited simply to the Pips, though Gladys Knight was quite clearly out front. I think this was mostly just due to the fact that the A B and the C's construction was very rare in those days.